Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Uncharted 2: Among Goodness


There are few people who's opinion I respect more than Tim Kail. Actually, there are only a few people who's opinion I really respect at all. Alex Megaro, Brian Ariotti, Mike Atkinson, Mike Dejoy, and Christopher Walken. All of whom read this blog. So Tim, this is not an attack of any sort, just a difference in opinion which will highlight things you have said about Uncharted 2 and possibly contradict them.

Recently IGN has done contradictory pieces on big games such as Uncharted and Batman Arkham Asylum. Its very interesting to read about other people's opinions on games that either are liked or disliked. Their argument for Batman was that he shouldn't be able to see through walls and the fact that you can strips him of everything Batman is. I don't agree, but I see where they are coming from. But sorry IGN, the game rocked.

Now I will start with what they said about Uncharted and move into Tim's arguments. Their major concern was the lack of variety, much like Tim said. Shootout after shootout that led to platforming that led to shootouts. Now, having played the first one, I knew exactly what I was getting in that lack variety. The game isn't Grand Theft Auto or Fallout so it will never have that replay value that varied gameplay brings. Uncharted is like watching a summer block buster that you control. Albeit there is sometimes more movie and less gameplay. But if it means anything, Metal Gear Solid (my all time favorite series and the sole reason I have a beard) has even longer movies and possibly less gameplay time. Snake Eater is my favorite game of all time and there are times when you walk four seconds and then watch a twenty minute long video which leads to another four seconds to another video.

All I'm saying is that Uncharted is an interactive movie the likes of which have never been seen before. That doesn't mean its perfect or one of the greatest games of all time. But if you are looking for something to fill the hole that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull put in your heart, Uncharted 1 and 2 are exactly what you need.

Yes, the platforming is somewhat repetitive and more times than I like to remember Nathan would jump somewhere I didn't want him to. But Assassin's Creed had me way more frustrated in terms of troublesome climbing and unwanted plunges to my death. I loved Assassin's Creed by the way. I'm right now trying to get a platinum trophy on it, it fucking rocks.

Though, Assassin's Creed story is much, MUCH more unbelievable than Uncharted's. Both Uncharted games had a little supernatural twist which I love but Assassin's Creed pulled one from left field, which is awesome. Yes, the puzzles in Uncharted are absolutely ridiculous and unbelievable but I take that with a grain of salt. Video games in general are usually ridiculous. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is ridiculous in terms of story. I frickin loved that game and platinumed the hell out of it but warfare is never that cinematic nor that personal. Not that I know personally but I can surmise.

Uncharted is popcorn. Its fun, cinematic, and innovative. Its a cheesy summer blockbuster that people love and some critics bash. Tim is not the first person I've heard that doesn't like it. Plenty of friends of mine don't at all and people I've talked to at work don't either. But the voice acting and character animations bring to life the story and characters like never seen before. The only game that is close to it in that regard is Mass Effect which I will be blogging about soon. I believe that Uncharted will bring with it a new standard in story telling for video games. But I don't think it will stand the test of time. If anything its multiplayer will probably be remembered longer than its solo play.

I think that the world is dumbed down by MTV, Michael Bay, the Black Eyed Peas ect. People want flashy things and quick thrills to satisfy their three second attention spans. I think that's why this game is being heralded as much as it is. I like it a lot and I hope they make more, but much more is needed if this is going to stand the test of time.

So there. My longest blog ever. There are my two cents, or there is my two cents, whatever it is. If you will learn anything from this blog though, it is this. Don't ever argue with Tim Kail. He is smarter than you and usually always right. Seriously.

3 comments:

  1. haha. I like the point/counterpoint thing. I think we're entertaining Brian immensely.

    I have the first game and will start that soon. I'll give it a chance.

    I love Metal Gear too and I think the reason I'm more okay with the cutscenes there and the dialogue there is that I love the writing and think it's so much better written, where as Uncharted, after it reaches its high point in the middle of game, starts to falter for me. If I'd played Uncharted like three years ago I would think it's one of the best games ever...but it basically boils down to I've pushed one too many blocks haha.

    Live long and prosper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am not kidding when i say i am truly honored to be among the people listed at the beginning of this blog.

    thank you sir.

    ReplyDelete